Sunday, August 24

Lowrie homers in the 11th, Sox win in Toronto

The much anticipated match up between Dice-K and AJ Burnett lived up to it's hype....as a long, dragged out game that ultimately lasted almost 4 hours long. Red Sox third basemen Jed Lowrie had been struggling at the plate all day, going into his at bat in the 11th inning at 0 for 4 on the day, but in a sign of further maturity, he was not upset or flustered. He stood in the box, cool, calm and collective as always, and the 24 year old blasted a solo tater to right center, giving the Sox the lead for good. Lowrie rounded the bases like he's hit 11th inning home runs hundreds of times, he plays the game right and at a maturity level of a 34 year old (save for Manny and a few others). I know that Lugo suffered a setback, but luckily for Red Sox fans Lowrie has made sure that Lugo's recovery doesn't factor into their plans for this season, or next. (and I didn't even mention Lowrie's throw to nail Matt Stairs at home plate trying to score on a Rod Barajas double)

Manny Delcarmen was brought in for the bottom of the 11th after Cinco Ocho held the Jays scoreless for two innings while using only 16 pitches (ITM note: I wanted Pap to come back out for the 11th, I'll be honest, after Delcarmen walked the first batter, I was close to letting the fiancee put Will and Grace on). Delcarmen would throw close to 30 pitches, but secured the 6-5 victory for the Sox.

The Sox were trailing early, but Dustin Pedrioa took a big swing at a high and outside Burnett offering over the wall for a three run home run. Toronto would come back to take a 5-4 lead but Coco Crisp made sure that didn't last for long as he hit a solo shot of his own to tie it at 5. It would stay tied until Lowrie's tater in the 11th as the Sox bullpen (Masterson, Oki, Papelbon and Delcarmen) was able to hold the Jays at Bay for 4 straight innings.


ITM notes:

-Dice K went 5 innings giving up 8 hits and 5 earned runs while walking 1 in the no decision. Dice-K had won his last 4 straight starts.

-JD Drew missed his sixth consecutive game his sore back. Tito said he still hopes Drew won't need to go on the DL

-David Pauley has joined the Red Sox. Pauley was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket when David Aardsma was placed on the 15-day DL with a sore groin.



Scoreboard watching:
-In what was a weird ending, the White Sox beat the Rays this afternoon.

-The Yankees won a back and forth battle with the O's 8-7

-The Sox are now 4.5 games behind the Rays (5 in the loss column) and are a half game ahead of the White Sox in the Wild Card race.

-The Yanks are 9.5 behind the Rays (10 in the loss column) and 5 back in the Wild Card.

12 comments:

Joe Murph said...

Looking at the schedules for the end of the season, I'm more worried about the wild card. Obviously it's a reflection of relative divisional strength, but the Sox in the AL East look to have a much tougher road than the Twins and CWS in the Central. The series in NY this week is going to be huge, but I guess all of them are from now on.

Phil Orbe said...

I too have little confidence in Delcarmen. Watching Will and Grace may be a little too desperate. I like your blog. I will certainly check you out in the future.

www.allsoxblog.blogspot.com/

DVicino said...

Agreed on the Will and Grace comment....but at the time it seemed like a sincerely option. Although he eventually retired toronto in the 11th, he has yet to prove he can be a reliable 7th or 8th inning guy. Masterson has been more consistent in his short time in the role, I wonder when Tito might consider a change in the "depth chart"....any thoughts??

Anonymous said...

tell me your opinion on my new post "not dead..yet" on my site, www.baseballillustrated.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

and what r ur playoff predictions, everybody? tell me on my site.

Anonymous said...

fuck the sox!

Anonymous said...

tell me your playoff predictions on www.baseballillustrated.blogspot.com everybody. also what are ur mvp, cy young, etc. predictions? tell me on my site by leaving a comment

Anonymous said...

Another anonymous comment with true value added material. Unreal.

Anonymous said...

soxin08, derek, phil and jj go on my site and tell me all of your playoff predictions. great site!

Anonymous said...

hey guys go on my site and vote on my new poll

Tim Murphy said...

Hey aaris zarmsa, we saw the link the first time, stop spamming this site with posts aimed only at self promotion. Feel free to post concerning the Red Sox or the issues at hand; stop trying to leach off the success of Inside the Monster. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to hear your guys playoff predictions...

Custom Search
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation